2026-09-21

1998: \(n \times n\) Unitary Matrices Group

<The previous article in this series | The table of contents of this series | The next article in this series>

definition of \(n \times n\) unitary matrices group

Topics


About: group
About: matrices space

The table of contents of this article


Starting Context



Target Context


  • The reader will have a definition of \(n \times n\) unitary matrices group.

Orientation


There is a list of definitions discussed so far in this site.

There is a list of propositions discussed so far in this site.


Main Body


1: Structured Description


Here is the rules of Structured Description.

Entities:
\( \mathbb{C}\): \(= \text{ the complex numbers field }\)
\( \{M\}\): \(= \text{ the } \mathbb{C} \text{ matrices space }\)
\( n\): \(\in \mathbb{N} \setminus \{0\}\)
\(*U (n)\): \(= \{M \in \{M\} \vert M \in \{\text{ the } n \times n \text{ unitary matrices }\}\}\)
//

Conditions:
//


2: Note


Let us see that \(U (n)\) is indeed a group.

Let \(M_1, M_2, M_3 \in U (n)\) be any.

\(M_1 M_2 \in U (n)\), because \((M_1 M_2)^* = {M_2}^* {M_1}^*\), by the proposition that the Hermitian conjugate of the product of any complex matrices is the product of the Hermitian conjugates of the constituents in the reverse order, \(= {M_2}^{- 1} {M_1}^{- 1}\), so, \((M_1 M_2)^* M_1 M_2 = {M_2}^{- 1} {M_1}^{- 1} M_1 M_2 = {M_2}^{- 1} I M_2 = {M_2}^{- 1} M_2 = I\) and \(M_1 M_2 (M_1 M_2)^* = M_1 M_2 {M_2}^{- 1} {M_1}^{- 1} = M_1 I {M_1}^{- 1} = M_1 {M_1}^{- 1} = I\), so, \((M_1 M_2)^* = (M_1 M_2)^{- 1}\).

1) \((M_1 \bullet M_2) \bullet M_3 = M_1 \bullet (M_2 \bullet M_3)\): by the proposition that for any ring, the multiplications of any matrices over the ring are associative.

2) \(i \in U (n)\) (called 'identity element') such that \(i \bullet M_1 = M_1 \bullet i = M_1\): the identity matrix, \(I\), is in \(U (n)\), because \(I^* = I = I^{-1}\), and \(I M_1 = M_1 I = M_1\).

3) \({M_1}^{- 1} \in U (n)\) (called 'inverse element of \(M_1\)') such that \({M_1}^{- 1} \bullet M_1 = M_1 \bullet {M_1}^{- 1} = I\): \({M_1}^* = {M_1}^{- 1} \in U (n)\), because \({{M_1}^*}^* = M_1\) and \({M_1}^* M_1 = I = M_1 {M_1}^*\), so, \({{M_1}^*}^{- 1} = M_1 = {{M_1}^*}^*\).

So, \(U (n)\) is a group.


References


<The previous article in this series | The table of contents of this series | The next article in this series>