2021-06-20

14: Not "Pythonic"? A Joke, Right?

<The previous article in this series | The table of contents of this series |

I think that code should be less-buggy, more-responsive, higher-throughput, more-maintainable, and what else? Should it be "Pythonic"?

Topics


About: Python

The table of contents of this article


Starting Context


  • The reader knows what Python is and has heard the word, "Pythonic".

Target Context


  • The reader will understand that "Pythonic" is a joke and will become wary of going too far in a kind of jokes.

Orientation


There is an article on how "Duck Typing" is a bad idea except for some limited cases.

There are some articles on some inconveniences of Python (the prohibition of cyclic importing, the difficulty of interrupting a standard input wait).


Main Body

Stage Direction
Hypothesizer 7 soliloquies.


1: Not "Pythonic"? So What?


Hypothesizer 7
Does my code have a bug? Sorry, sir, I will rectify it right away.

Is my code responding badly? Sorry, madam, I will see to it immediately.

Is my code outputting slowly? Very well, boss, I will rethink the algorithm.

Is my code poorly maintainable? Well, fellows, let me see how I can refine it.

Is my code not "Pythonic"? . . . So what?

I aspire to write high-quality, high-performance, high-reasonability code, but I never aspire to write "Pythonic" code.


2: Do You Need Such a Word?


Hypothesizer 7
"Pythonic"? . . . Is my code bad because it is not "Pythonic"? . . . You sound like a religious cult.

Why do you not explain how my code will behave erroneously, work slowly, hamper maintenance, than declare it to be not "Pythonic"?

Do you need such a word?

"Pythonic"? . . . Ah, you are joking, right? Certainly, it is so absurd to be laughable.


3: Be Wary of Going Too Far in a Kind of Jokes


Hypothesizer 7
Many of the Python community seem to favor a kind of jokes.

"Duck Typing"? Is it a good thing? . . . A joke, right? I do not find it funny though.

The inability to allow cyclic importing is not any flaw? . . . Also a joke, right?

I see the pattern: pretending to be so self-righteous to be laughable, right?

But you should not go too far: many are not reading your true intentions.

It will be harmful if someone happens to be taken in to really believe that "Duck Typing" is generally a good idea.


References


<The previous article in this series | The table of contents of this series |