2017-07-30

31: To Establish the Unbounded Consistency Is the Only Way to Near Truths, Part Four

<The previous article in this series   The next article in this series>
Main body START

The Difference Between to Be Consistent and Not to Wobble

-Hypothesizer

Not to wobble is treasured among some Earthians.

-Rebutter

What do you mean by 'not to wobble'?

-Hypothesizer

In fact, what I mean isn't the issue; what they mean is.

-Rebutter

Then, what do they mean?

-Hypothesizer

They seem to mean, 'not to change one's opinions'.

-Rebutter

Well, when one improves his or her opinions, the opinions have to change. Is 'not to improve one's opinions' treasured among some Earthians?

-Hypothesizer

Actually, it is. In fact, it isn't a particularly rare sentiment among Earthians.

-Rebutter

Why can such a thing happen?

-Hypothesizer

For them, not to wobble means that final conclusions have been already reached, which is a good thing . . . if those conclusions are perfectly correct.

-Rebutter

Being said "if those conclusions are perfectly correct," it's impossible because anyone has to build a hypotheses system based on limited information and keep improving the hypotheses system based on newly acquired information, in order to near truths.

-Hypothesizer

The problem is, some people won't admit what's impossible as impossible.

-Rebutter

I say, only after we admitted what's impossible as impossible, we can begin to contrive practical methods to near goals.

-Hypothesizer

Anyway, it's somewhat understandable for them to detest acts of changing opinions because there are some people who just say whatever convenient for immediate gains: when being asked about a situation, they express some opinions; when being asked about another situation, they express opinions that are inconsistent with the previous opinions.

-Rebutter

That is different from acts of changing opinions: they didn't change the opinions about the first situation, did they?

-Hypothesizer

Well, if they are asked about the first situation again, they will repeat the first set of opinions.

-Rebutter

They don't change their opinions, but pick up an adhoc set of opinions for each case.

-Hypothesizer

Ah, that will be a more adequate description.

-Rebutter

We should recognize things accurately. If we recognize the act of not wobbling as an act of not changing opinions, we will begin to stick to false opinions.

-Hypothesizer

We have to change opinions in order to improve our opinions. To be consistent is to maintain a single consistent opinions system that is consistent with the reality, not 'not to change opinions'.

-Rebutter

Acts of wobbling certainly beget inconsistencies, but acts of not wobbling as acts of not changing opinions can't help but also beget inconsistencies, because our opinions system can't help but become inconsistent with newly acquired information.

Acts of Wobbling Between Possible Consistent Opinions Systems?

-Hypothesizer

We have so far talked about acts of wobbling without any consistent opinions system.

-Rebutter

Yes. That's the only acts of wobbling we have recognized so far.

-Hypothesizer

Can't there be a case of wobbling between two consistent opinions systems?

-Rebutter

Well, as opinions systems are hypotheses systems, certainly, there can be multiple possible consistent opinions systems at the same time. So, there may be some cases in which we want to move from a opinions system to another opinions system, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

-Hypothesizer

For example, I decide I should be on a diet.

-Rebutter

Obviously, you should.

-Hypothesizer

While it's a habit with me to eat a cup of custard both at breakfast and at supper everyday, . . .

-Rebutter

You eat too much.

-Hypothesizer

. . . I decide that I should make it once a day.

-Rebutter

Why don't you just quit it altogether?

-Hypothesizer

That isn't an option. Anyway, should I eat it at breakfast, or at supper? That's the question.

-Rebutter

That doesn't matter. Just decide, and begin the diet.

-Hypothesizer

I wake up the next day and think, "I should eat it at breakfast because the calories will be used up during the day."

-Rebutter

That sounds reasonable.

-Hypothesizer

So, I ate it at the breakfast.

-Rebutter

OK.

-Hypothesizer

Then at the supper, I think, "I should rather eat it at supper because it heals my fatigue from the day."

-Rebutter

Well, I understand that you become to want to eat something sweet when you feel some fatigue although I don't know whether it really heals your fatigue. Right now, I don't particularly deny your hypothesis.

-Hypothesizer

So, I decide to eat it at supper, and ate it.

-Rebutter

Well, such a change will be permissible. You didn't realize in the morning how it is good for your fatigue. We can't just reach an optimal conclusion in one leap. We have to admit that. We shouldn't stick to a suboptimal conclusion if you realized that it isn't optimal.

-Hypothesizer

At the breakfast next morning, I think, "Reconsidering the effectiveness as a diet, I should definitely eat it at breakfast." And . . . I ate it.

-Rebutter

. . .

-Hypothesizer

At the supper, I think, "However, I'm on the diet for my health, right? If the diet doesn't heal this fatigue, how is it good for my health?" So, I ate it.

-Rebutter

. . .

-Hypothesizer

At the breakfast next morning, . . .

-Rebutter

You ate it, didn't you?

-Hypothesizer

Yes, . . . in short, and at the supper, . . .

-Rebutter

I know you ate it.

-Hypothesizer

You know, that's an act of wobbling between two consistent opinions systems.

-Rebutter

I don't know.

-Hypothesizer

I swear that I never meant to eat it at the supper when I ate it at the second breakfast. I sincerely selected the opinions system that I should eat it only at breakfast. I was consistent both at breakfasts and at suppers!

-Rebutter

I wonder.

-Hypothesizer

How so?

-Rebutter

At the first supper, you already had both points of the effectiveness as a diet and the power to heal symptoms of fatigue, and you decided that the latter outweighs the former after you compared the two. I don't see any reasonableness in your overturning the decision at the second breakfast.

-Hypothesizer

But if I eat it at breakfast, it will be definitely more effective as a diet . . .

-Rebutter

You already knew that at the first supper and made the decision based on that knowledge.

-Hypothesizer

I changed my mind at the breakfast . . .

-Rebutter

On what ground?

-Hypothesizer

Being asked 'on what ground' . . .

-Rebutter

But you changed your mind based on a piece of reasoning, didn't you?

-Hypothesizer

Well . . .

-Rebutter

You can certainly change your opinions system, but you have to do so based on a piece of consistent reasoning.

-Hypothesizer

So, unless we find any piece of consistent reasoning to change our opinions system, we should stick to the current opinions system?

-Rebutter

I think so. Otherwise, we will become Buridan's ass.

-Hypothesizer

Ah, the ass that will die of hunger because it can't select a road from two roads . . .

-Rebutter

Usually, we change our opinions system in order to deal with newly acquired information. In that way, we can't just wobble between two fixed opinions systems.

-Hypothesizer

There will be also cases in which we find an inconsistency in our opinions system without any piece of newly acquired information.

-Rebutter

There will be, but we won't be able to return to the previous opinions system because it contains the inconsistency.

-Hypothesizer

Surely we won't be.

-Rebutter

But I see your point. Certainly, there are cases of wobbling between possible consistent opinions systems. They are caused by moving from a opinions system to another opinions system without based on any piece of consistent reasoning.

-Hypothesizer

At a supper, the fatigue may be greater than it was at the last supper. That is newly acquired information, and I say, "I will eat it at supper because my fatigue can be this great."

-Rebutter

I don't think that that's newly acquired information: you aren't damn as you didn't know that your fatigue varies day to day and your fatigue can be that great, are you?

-Hypothesizer

Well, . . . I guess so.

-Rebutter

That's just a rationalization. Any rationalization happens by an act of pretending not to know what we really know.

-Hypothesizer

I see.

-Rebutter

Besides, when you changed your mind at the second breakfast, why didn't you skip the cup the day and begin to eat it at the next breakfast?

-Hypothesizer

Well, it would have been a grave violation of the one-cup-a-day norm.

-Rebutter

You don't need such a norm. I thought it wasn't a norm, but a permission.

-Hypothesizer

It is a norm.

-Rebutter

But you have been violating the one-cup-a-day regulation for days, eating two cups a day. Isn't that a grave violation, sir?

-Hypothesizer

Well . . .

-Rebutter

It seems inconsistent that you can't violate the norm a single day while you are fine with the act of violating the regulation for days, sir.

-Hypothesizer

Well . . .

-Rebutter

Besides, if you have to observe the norm, why didn't you skip the cup at the first supper and begin to eat it at the second supper. That way, you wouldn't have broken the norm.

-Hypothesizer

I don't understand the meaning . . .

-Rebutter

You understand it, sir. You would have eaten it at the first breakfast, at the second supper, at the third supper, and so on. You wouldn't have broken the norm a single day.

-Hypothesizer

I understand that there is an inconsistency there. After all, acts of wobbling happen because there are some inconsistencies somewhere.

Main body END

<The previous article in this series   The next article in this series>