2017-01-29

5: How Much Can We Know for Sure?

<The previous article in this series   The next article in this series>
Main body START

How Much Can We Know for Sure?

-Hypothesizer

So, we will accept only what inputs exactly tell us. We won't accept anything doubtful from now on.

-Rebutter

. . . I wonder whether you understand.

-Hypothesizer

Understand what?

-Rebutter

There are almost nothing that are doubtless, if there are any. If we don't accept anything doubtful, there will be almost nothing we can accept.

-Hypothesizer

Is that so? Hmm . . .

-Rebutter

What is doubtless, then?

-Hypothesizer

Well, for example, I'm not bald . . . at least yet. (touching the head) I feel the hair touching the head, like this.

-Rebutter

You may be delusional from wishing you weren't bald.

-Hypothesizer

Is this hair a delusion? It's dark, wavy, and disheveled.

-Rebutter

You can't say it isn't a delusion because it's dark, wavy, or disheveled.

-Hypothesizer

But why should I have to imagine it so disheveled? I would imagine it more stylish, and I would rather like it blond.

-Rebutter

You don't always have rosy dreams.

-Hypothesizer

It feels quite real. It doesn't feel like a delusion . . .

-Rebutter

You may be feeling it so real, delusionally. Delusions are like that; delusions are delusions because they don't feel like delusions.

-Hypothesizer

Ah-ha, . . . I can't refute that. . . . Considering possibilities of delusions, this desk I'm touching may be a delusion.

-Rebutter

That's right.

-Hypothesizer

Considering possibilities of dreams, although I think I sit on this chair, I may be dreaming of sitting on this chair.

-Rebutter

That's right.

-Hypothesizer

I thought I was fat, but maybe, I'm not fat . . .

-Rebutter

In that respect, you are doubtlessly fat.

-Hypothesizer

Why is only that doubtless? . . . Well, how about this? . . . An Earthian, named René Descartes, seems to have said, "Cogito, ergo sum".

-Rebutter

Hmm, I don't understand it very well. Am I who think, really I as I think? Aren't I who think, just a character in a manga? I admit that I exist in some sense or another, but do I really exist as understood when I say that I exist but Darth Vader doesn't exist?

-Hypothesizer

Come to think of it, we may not exist in the usual sense: we may be a character in a blog by an eccentric.

-Rebutter

That's possible. . . . Anyway, if we adopt only what are completely doubtless, we will be able to have almost no ideas.

-Hypothesizer

Ah-ha, to have a set of doubtless statements and make deductions from them is an ideal, but won't happen in reality.

-Rebutter

Only by admitting what are impossible as impossible, we can begin to think of practical maneuvers.

Main body END

<The previous article in this series   The next article in this series>